Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Old Friends

I have just reconnected with an old friend.  We have been friends since we were in a class together in college.  We are not sure how long ago that was, but we think it must have been in 2006.  I said "hi" to her in the bathroom and she sat next to me in class.  And as they say, the rest is history.  We were very close for a few years, worked together, and hung out at school a few days a week.  We would work out together and she helped me do things I would not normally do (both the good and the not as good).  Then I guess life beat me up some and I got really busy with my job, and we drifted apart.  I really only stayed close to a few people during that time.

Well last week, we reconnected over dinner, and today we had a picnic in the park.  She has showed me many parks on our adventures between classes and occasionally skipping class together, but this self proclaimed tree huger has never taken me here before.  It was a beautiful Japanese garden, and I was glad to realize where it was and hope to enjoy it more in the future. I'm entirely in love with the beautiful parks in my area.

Anyway, in not seeing each other for over a year, it was very apparent in talking, that we both have changed quite a lot in last few years.  She seems so much more settled, though she is still unsure of a career path.  As we spoke, we realized that we have both grown up quite a bit in the last few years.  We are both more mellow, and settled in who we are as people.  We were a lot more restless before.  And it is not really about a change in circumstances, but entirely that God has changed us.  It was great to realize.

I'm thankful that growing up gets easier.  I'm not sure I would have realized how far I had come, had I not reconnected with my friend,  And I was delighted to learn how God has been working on her as well.  I'm really excited she is in my life again, and I pray for more blessing for her as she seeks to know him more.

No comments:

Post a Comment